What’s Happening Today?
World Sports Journalists Day. The day aims to acknowledge the work of sports journalists and to encourage them to do better at their work. The day was established in 1994 to mark the 70th anniversary of the International Sports Press Association (AIPS). This year 2021 marks the 97th anniversary of AIPS.
Comic Sans Day. Comic Sans is a typing font for Microsoft Word. Love it or hate it, this sans-serif font has caused quite a stir, so much so that two Dutch radio DJs, Coen Swijnenberg and Sander Lantinga, created Comic Sans Day in 2009. It is not very often that a font engenders strong enough feelings for it to have its own holiday, especially only fifteen years after it came into existence. To celebrate the day, we are publishing today's trivia article in the Comic Sans font.
What Happened Today?
1. In 1986, Rodrigo Rojas and Carmen Gloria Quintana were burnt alive during a street demonstration against the dictatorship of General Augusto Pinochet in Chile. Rojas, a young photographer and Quintana, a Chilean woman, were burnt by government soldiers. Rojas died but Quintana survived with serious burns.
2. In 1990, In the 1990 Mecca tunnel tragedy, 1,400 Muslim pilgrims were suffocated to death and trampled upon in a pedestrian tunnel leading to the holy city of Mecca.
3. In 2005, The Live 8 benefit concerts took place in the G8 states and in South Africa. More than 1,000 musicians perform and are broadcast on 182 television networks and 2,000 radio networks.
1. 1989 – Lindsay Lohan, American actress and singer.
2. 1989 – Emma Coronel Aispuro, wife of El-Chapo, the world’s most prominent drug dealer.
Sources: Wikipedia, checkiday & adda.com