What’s Happening Today?
World Art Nouveau Day. Art Nouveau is an international style of art, architecture and applied art, especially the decorative arts. The World Art Nouveau Day is an event dedicated to art nouveau that is celebrated annually on 10 June. This date is the anniversary of the death of two famous architects of the movement, Antoni Gaudí and Ödön Lechner. Activities like those organised on World Art Nouveau Day aim to create more awareness of Art Nouveau heritage among the public.
Reconciliation Day in the Republic of the Congo. This holiday looks back to the national conference that took place on 10 June of 1991, which ultimately resulted in the end of one-party rule of the country.
Soon after the 1991 conference, the country slid into prolonged civil war. However, the holiday celebrates the end of dictatorial control over the people’s lives and a turning point in the restoration of democracy to the Republic of Congo.
What Happened Today?
1. In 1980, the African National Congress published a call to fight for their imprisoned leader Nelson Mandela. This message by Nelson Mandela was addressed to the struggling masses of the country to deal with the apartheid crisis gripping South Africa and in the aftermath of the Soweto uprisings. It was smuggled out of Robben Island prison under very difficult conditions and took over two years to reach the recipients.
2. In 1999 The Kosovo War ended. Slobodan Milošević, then President of Serbia, agreed to withdraw his troops from the disputed territory following a massive NATO bombing campaign. NATO's involvement has been criticized for its lack of a U.N. mandate.
3. In 2009, James Wenneker von Brunn, who was 88-years-old, opened fire inside the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and fatally shot Museum Special Police Officer Stephen Tyrone Johns. Other security guards returned fire, wounding von Brunn, who was later apprehended.
1. 1949 – John Ssentamu (in the photo), Archbishop of York, Bishop of Birmingham and Bishop of Stepney.
2. 1992 – Kate Upton, American model and actress.
Source: Wikipedia, bornglorious.com & chekiday.com