What’s Happening Today?
Legal Assistants Day. Legal Assistants Day honors the people who work diligently behind the scenes to make their lawyers look good. Without a good legal assistant or paralegal, the lawyer may never be able to present the winning argument that cited a little-known previous case.
Purple Day. Purple Day is an international grassroots effort dedicated to increasing awareness about epilepsy worldwide. On March 26th annually, people in countries around the world are invited to wear purple and host events in support of epilepsy awareness.
What Happened Today?
1. In 1953, the USA announced the polio vaccine. Dr. Jonas E. Salk, announced a vaccine had been used safely and successfully used in preliminary trials on 90 children and adults as a polio vaccine, two years later the vaccine was released and given to every child in the United States.
2. In 1992, Mike Tyson was convicted of rape. Former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson was sentenced to six years in prison for raping Miss Black Rhode Island, Desiree Washington. He was released in March 1995 after serving three years.
3. In 2008, The Ford Motor Company sold its Jaguar and Land Rover brands. After decades of losses at Jaguar and a history of reliability issues at Land Rover, Ford announced that it sold them to India's Tata Motors Limited for $2.3 billion. The price of the combined units was less than what Ford paid for them. Ford acquired Jaguar in 1989 and Land Rover in 2000.
1. 1944 – Diana Ross, American singer and actress.
2. 1985 – Keira Knightley, award-winning British actress
Sources: Wikipedia, checkiday & thepeopleholiday.com