What’s Happening Today?
World FM Day. Many of you will be a bit surprised that FM does not stand for Frequency Media, but Facility Manager.
Today celebrates achievements by hardworking professionals across the FM field. From large office towers to residential buildings, the FM profession touches nearly everyone. At KIU, we have our Estates Department which deals with Facility Management work. We congratulate and celebrate them on this day.
International Receptionists’ Day. A receptionist is often the first person a client or customer will meet when they arrive at a company, and they are the ones who have the task of making a positive first impression on whoever walks through the doors.
The purpose of the day is to foster the recognition of the importance of a receptionist’s role, promote pride and professionalism amongst receptionists for the important role they play within an organization, and give employers an opportunity to shine a light on their receptionists and celebrate their achievements across their businesses.
What Happened Today?
1. In 1981, Pope John Paul II survived an assassination attempt when Turkish right-wing extremist Mehmet Ali Agca fired two shots at him on St. Peter’s square. The Pope was seriously wounded but survived thanks to a five-hour operation and later went on to visit his attacker in prison.
2. In 1989, thousands of students began a hunger strike on Tiananmen Square in Beijing. The non-violent occupation of the square was part of anti-corruption and pro-democracy demonstrations. Less than a month later, more than 3,000 unarmed civilians were killed when the army cracked down on the protesters to clear the square.
3. In 2012, 49 dismembered bodies were discovered by Mexican police on Mexican Federal Highway 40. Mexican authorities stated that the bodies were decapitated and dismembered by members of the Los Zetas drug cartel and dumped by a roadside near the city of Monterrey in Northern Mexico.
1. 1950 – Stevie Wonder, American singer, songwriter, musician and record producer.
2. 1993 – Romelu Lukaku, Belgian football striker who plays for Inter Milan FC in Italy.
Sources: Wikipedia & checkiday