What’s Happening Today?
Amnesty International Day. This Day works to promote human rights and raise awareness of their abuses and how our choices affect them every day. This event calls upon everyone, no matter their nationality, culture or race, to raise up and get involved in a number of different events that are going on around the world to protect human rights.
Menstrual Hygiene Day. This is an annual awareness day to highlight the importance of good Menstrual Hygiene Management (MHM). It was initiated by the German-based NGO WASH United in 2014 and aims to benefit women and girls worldwide. The 28th was selected to acknowledge the fact that 28 days is the average length of the menstrual cycle.
What Happened Today?
1. In 585 AD, a solar eclipse predicted by Greek philosopher and scientist Thales occurs leading to a truce between Alyattes and Cyaxares in the battle of Thales. This is the earliest eclipse known to have been rightly predicted before its occurrence.
2. In 1975, the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) was founded, after the signing of the Treaty of Lagos by 15 West African countries. Its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
3. In 1999, Leonardo Da Vinci’s art piece, The Last Supper, one of the most recognizable pieces in art history, was put back on display in Milan, Italy after 22 years of restoration work.
1. 1944 – Matia Kasaija, Uganda's Minister of Finance.
2. 1968 – Kylie Minogue, Australian singer and songwriter.
Sources: Checkiday, Wikipedia
Image: News Medical