What’s Happening Today?
Independence Day (Morocco). Independence Day, also known as Fete de l'Independence, is a public holiday in the Kingdom of Morocco, celebrated on November 18th each year. It is Morocco's National Day and commemorates Moroccan independence on the date King Mohammed returned from exile in 1955.
Mickey Mouse Day. Mickey Mouse made his screen debut in the short film Steamboat Willie, on November 18, 1928. Today is seen as being Mickey's birthday, as well as Mickey Mouse Day. He was the creation of Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks. Disney needed a character to replace Oswald the Lucky Rabbit after he had lost the rights to Oswald to Universal Studios. He asked Iwerks to draw up the new character, and various animals were rejected before a mouse was settled upon.
What Happened Today?
1. In 1883, Canadian and American railroads adopted time zones. Prior to this, most cities had their own local time, making it difficult for railways to be on time and confusing passengers. To solve this problem, private railways decided to divide the continent into 4 distinct time zones - the lines of which are very close to the time zone lines today.
2. In 1963, push-button phones were used for the first time. Bell systems started replacing rotary dial phones by push button phone in the United States. Push-button phones use keys or buttons to dial a number.
3. In 1978, there were mass suicides in Jonestown. Over 900 people committed suicide at the behest of Jim Jones the founder and head of a group called Peoples Temple. Formed in Indianapolis, Indiana, in the mid-1050s, members of the group moved to Guyana in 1974 and set up a settlement outside Georgetown and called in Jonestown.
1. 1960 – Irene Muloni, Ugandan electrical engineer, Senior Presidential Advisor to President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni. She served as Cabinet Minister for Energy and Minerals in the Ugandan Cabinet until December 2019 after serving from 27th May 2011.
2. 1968 – Owen Wilson, American actor, producer and screenwriter.
Sources: Wikipedia, checkiday & officeholidays.com
Picture credit: Pinterest