What’s Happening Today?
Election Day (USA). In the United States, Election Day is the annual day set by law for the general elections of federal public officials. It is statutorily set by the Federal Government as "the Tuesday next after the first Monday in the month of November” equaling the Tuesday occurring within November 2 to November 8.
World Jellyfish Day. Did you know that a group of jellyfish can be called a bloom, a swarm, or a smack? Despite the word “fish” in their names, jellyfish are not actually fish. No bones about it, they are invertebrates! Besides their lack of bones, jellyfish also lack a brain. Instead, they have a network of nerves, but no central nervous system. When feeding, jellyfish use their tentacles to sting their prey – they eat plankton. But what eats a jellyfish? Many animals do, including tunas, sharks, turtles, and humans!
What Happened Today?
1. In 1954, famous sci-fi Godzilla was released. The Japanese science fiction starring a mutated monster of the same name became an instant hit and has gone on to become one of the most-watched movies of all time.
2. In 19992, Democratic Arkansas Governor Bill Clinton defeated Republican President George H. W. Bush and Independent candidate Ross Perot in the 1992 U.S. presidential election.
3. In 2014, One World Trade Center officially opened. It was the replacement for the World Trade Center Twin Towers, in New York City, after the towers were each destroyed by aeroplanes during the September 11 attacks.
1. 1957 – Dolph Lundgren, Swedish actor and martial artist.
2. 1995 – Kendall Jenner, American model, media personality and socialite who is part of the famous Kardashian family.
Sources: Wikipedia, checkiday & oceanexplorer.nooa.gov