What’s Happening Today?
World Cerebral Palsy Day. This is a global movement of people with cerebral palsy and their families, and the organizations that support them, in more than 60 countries. The day is an opportunity to celebrate, raise awareness and take action to ensure that people with CP have the same rights, access and opportunity as anyone else in their communities.
Garlic Lovers Day. It is dedicated to lovers of garlic. Garlic is an onionlike plant that is highly aromatic and has a distinct flavour. It is native to Central Asia and Northeastern Iran and has long been used as a seasoning and for medicine in Asia, Africa, and in Europe around the Mediterranean Sea. It was used in ancient China, Rome, and Greece, and in the Americas, wild garlic was eaten before Europeans arrived. In the United States, it was only popular near the Gulf of Mexico and in ethnic neighbourhoods in large cities, until the mid-20th century, when its popularity spread.
What Happened Today?
1. In 1981, Anwar Sadat, the third president of Egypt, was killed by members of the terrorist group Takfir Wal-Hajira during a parade held to commemorate the 8th anniversary of Operation Badr - a military operation where Egyptian forces crossed the Suez Canal and overran the Bar-Lev Line in Israel.
2. In 1995, the first exoplanet orbiting a Sun-like star was discovered. Swiss astronomers Didier Queloz and Michel Mayor announced the discovery of the exoplanet called 51 Pegasi B or Bellerophon. The Jupiter-like exoplanet orbited a star called 51 Pegasi, which had a magnitude of 5.49. 51 Pegasi B takes 4.23 Earth days to orbit around its star.
3. In 2010, Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger founded the photo-sharing application Instagram in a co-working space. It became a runaway success, attracting tens of millions of users before the co-founders sold it to Facebook (FB) in 2012 for $1 billion.
1. 1959 – Sam Bitangaro, Member of Parliament for Bufumbira South in Kisoro District
2. 1968 – Grace Buzu, Ugandan sprinter
Sources: Wikipedia, checkiday & bornglorious.com